Thursday, January 28, 2016

My Childhood Scrapbook

My son celebrated his 12th birthday this week. As he opened his cards, it reminded me of the wonderful scrapbook that my mom created and updated annually for me.

My parents raised 7 children, and my mom somehow made time to sew all of our clothes...and update a scrapbook for each of us! When we left home as young adults, she handed a book over to each of us. I haven't looked at mine for years, but I decided to get it out yesterday.

At the beginning of the scrapbook, she pasted both of our hospital bands and newspaper clippings from the day I was born. There also are pages of my baby cards, like this one:


The rest of the book has every card I received from age 1 to 13, which I can open to see who sent it to me. And she continued to include the news headlines, fashion, weather, and horoscope that appeared in print on my birthday. I love that she saw the value of newspapers! 


Because of this family tradition, I've saved and dated all of my son's cards...but I haven't put them in a scrapbook yet. I don't know how my mom did it all!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't have a childhood scrapbook, but did have lots of loose photos and documents like Sunday School awards and newspaper clippings that are now in archival albums. When my son was born in 1988, I created a scrapbook for him (in an archival quality album) that grew to 9 albums that I stopped at his 21st birthday. I had them scanned and saved last year as part of my big digitizing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 9 albums--that's impressive! That reminds me of the drawer where I put my son's items from school (drawings, stories, class photos). I better get moving & start organizing! Thanks for your comment, Linda.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing mom! I only have one child, & made scrapbooks for only the first 5 years. I don't know how your mom did it with seven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's pretty amazing, too! Like you, I only have one child, so I really need to do a better job getting his items in a scrapbook. You should be proud of what you pulled together, since I'm sure there are many like me who haven't. Thank you for taking the time to comment, Dana.

      Delete

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!