Wednesday, December 3, 2014

History & Art at the Ward Museum

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, my family and I took a vacation to the East Coast. One of our day trips was a drive to the The Ward Museum of Wildfowl Art in Salisbury, Maryland. My husband loves duck decoys, so he was really looking forward to it. My son & I weren't sure what to expect.

I must say that I was completely surprised and absolutely charmed by the place. It's a lovely and interesting museum. We learned about the history of duck hunting and how the decoy evolved from just a functional item to a piece of art. The Ward brothers and their neighbor, Lloyd Tyler, were highlighted in the collection. Their lives and those of other carvers were described, which I loved most of all. You can find genealogy everywhere!

The museum was history and art rolled into one. If you're ever in the area, I would highly recommend that you stop and check it out.

Do you have any artists in your family tree?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!