Wednesday, October 28, 2015

6 Tips for Telling a Better Genealogy Story

Book with Red Cover; "The Story"
I know I have a lot of room for improvement in the area of storytelling. Here are some tips all of us can try to use when writing about our ancestors:
  1. Think about the audience - Who do you want to reach? You may want to inspire others who do genealogy research, share stories with your family, or you may be hoping to reach long-lost cousins. 
  2. Ask why this person or event matters - I've said it before: every life matters, and your family was important even though they may seem like ordinary folk. When you focus on the person or the impact of a particular event, you tend to write differently than just listing a bunch of facts.
  3. Tell the truth - Your storytelling should be accurate. There's no need to embellish; you'll find that your ancestors were interesting in their own way.
  4. Be bold - Don't be afraid to share your stories. It may not seem like it at times, but you have something important to say!
  5. Let your research guide you - It's always easier to focus your writing on a recent record find or someone you just researched.
  6. Keep practicing - If you commit to writing on a regular basis (my goal is three posts each week), you'll definitely keep improving.
I follow hundreds of genealogy blogs, and I enjoy reading the family stories. If you have any additional tips for telling a better story, please leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Joanne,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/10/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-october-30.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Knowing your audience is key. I started blogging after a few false starts when Dad, the family genealogist, had a massive cerebral hemorrhage. He could no longer speak, but could understand others. Once I had an audience, the stories just flowed. I'm still going strong a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that I still have stories to share for several years like you. I'll definitely check out your blogs. Thank you for reading mine and taking the time to comment!

      Delete

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!