Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Family Traditions: German Food

When I was in elementary school, I remember spending a week with my grandparents during several summer breaks. We would go on an outing almost every day. I also remember missing my mom's cooking. Meals just didn't taste the same that week: meats were a little dry and mashed potatoes weren't as creamy. (Sorry, Grandma!)  It just could have been a sign of homesickness, or maybe everyone feels that way about their mother's cooking.

In some handwritten notes I have from my grandmother, she described her German mother as a "wonderful cook and baker." Some of the foods she listed as family traditions were:

Chicken & Dumplings
Rivel Soup
Hassenpfeffer
Sour Tongue
Sauerbrauten
Apple Kuchen
Christmas Stollen

Unfortunately, I don't have any recipes that were passed down from my great-grandmother, but clicking on each of the foods above will take you to websites where others describe how to make these dishes. What great recipes did you inherit from your ancestors?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!