Thursday, January 8, 2015

1887 German Obituary: Update #1

Genealogy: Searching Troy NY Newspapers for Ancestors
After help from reader Michael Stephens (Thanks, Mike!), I have a brief update on my last post about the obituary for my 2nd great-uncle, Jacob Nehren. Jacob died in Pittsburgh on November 6, 1887, and his German obituary was difficult for me to understand, but Mike pointed out that it requested that Troy newspapers copy the obituary. I took this to mean that he could have had family there.

After a quick search on Ancestry.com, I found a Nehren family in Troy, Rensselaer County, New York. William Nehren was born in Germany four years after Jacob, so it's possible he could be a brother or a cousin. William arrived in the U.S. at least a decade after Jacob and was in Troy for the rest of his life. FindAGrave has a photo of his headstone, which shows he died in 1921.

A search of New York newspapers on FultonHistory.com shows that William's obituary was printed in The Troy Times:
"NEHREN--In this city, January 23, 1921, William Nehren, at the residence of his daughter, 1817 Francis Avenue, father of Frank J. and James Nehren, Mrs. H. C. Bender and Mrs. Stephen D. Lincoln. Funeral private from the residence Wednesday morning at 9 o'clock; thence to St. Lawrence's Church, where a requiem high mass will be sung."
I will post another update when I find more information to link William to my uncle Jacob Nehren.


1 comment:

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!