Friday, April 17, 2015

I Have a Cousin in Colorado!

Yesterday, I woke up to find an email from a cousin I didn't even know existed. It was very exciting! It turns out that she lived ten miles from me for a decade, but now she's in Colorado. Her paternal grandmother and my great-grandfather were siblings and, while you would think that this family branch with 13 children would lead to many cousin connections, it just hasn't turned out that way.

Two of the thirteen siblings didn't marry because they died in their 20s, and two others didn't have children of their own. For seven of the remaining nine, either I couldn't locate descendants or they didn't respond to my letter/email. This message from my cousin has inspired me to try to reach out to them again.

My cousin and I have already started to share family details, and I'm hoping to see some photos of her grandparents. I compiled a booklet several years ago on this family branch as a gift for my dad, so I can't wait to share it with her.

I still need to ask my "new" cousin how she tracked me down, but I suspect it was via this blog since she contacted me through the email address I mainly use here. I've read from other bloggers about similar cousin connection stories, but I really didn't think I would be one of the lucky ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!