Monday, August 24, 2015

Akron Advertisement, 1887

This advertisement appears in the 1887 publication, Recipes by Ladies of St. Paul's P.E. Church, Akron, Ohio. While most of the ads are for Akron businesses, there also are several for the Cleveland area. You can view this booklet both in the HathiTrust Digital Library and The Internet Archive.

Some of my Huber relatives moved to Akron in the early 1900s, so I wonder if this store still existed then and if they ever saw it. Most of the ads in this recipe book used text only, so this one with artwork definitely stands out.
Laskaris Store, Akron Ohio, 1887

Take time to browse publications from the areas where your ancestors lived. If they owned a business, you may find one of their old ads, but it's also a great way to learn more about the city or town where they lived and raised their families.

2 comments:

  1. I've found a handful of advertisements for my family. They are fun to read and add details to their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Linda. I can still remember how excited I was the first time I found an ad for my family. There haven't been many, which made it so special. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete

Do you have a genealogy problem or need guidance on where to search next? Send me a message if you'd like me to help!